School Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How many pupils are there in a class?

A. There are between 4 – 9 pupils in each class, depending on the size of the year groups.


Q. How often do pupils have access to Speech Therapy?

A. Every pupil receives an individual language and communication programme. This may include a weekly “Live English” speech and language therapy group session jointly led by the Speech and Language therapist and class teacher. Children may also receive blocks of individual, paired or small group sessions according to their needs. Language, listening and speech programmes are planned in collaboration with school staff and parents.


Q. Do you have medical support?

A. The school has an allocated School Nurse who supports the school with arranging school medicals, provides guidance on the management of first aid and supports families of pupils with medical needs.

The school has a list of general and paediatric First Aiders who have are trained and qualified in administering First Aid to our pupils.


Q. Do you have Audiological services available?

A. The school has a part-time Educational Audiologist who works in collaboration with the class teachers, parents and Audiology clinics/hospitals to ensure that the pupil’s hearing aids or implants are working optimally at all times. The children are encouraged to be independent in maintaining their hearing aids and cochlear implants, and they have individual audiology kits to carry out their daily checks.


Q. Please could we arrange a visit and can you send us a prospectus?

A. Parents and professionals are very welcome to arrange a visit to the school and obtain a copy of the prospectus. These can be arranged by contacting the school office via


Q. I am concerned about a deaf pupil who is in a mainstream school?

A. If you have concerns regarding the progress of a Deaf child in any educational setting, you are advised to raise these concerns with the school in your child’s Annual Review EHCP Meeting and with your Teacher of the Deaf. If your concerns are ongoing, it is possible to request a change of placement on your Education Health and Care Plan. You are always welcome to visit Frank Barnes School to learn about our provision. Any change of placement can only be granted by a panel of specialists in your child’s local education authority.


Q. I have a child who is profoundly deaf, wears digital hearing aids/cochlear implants and uses sign language – would they be a candidate for your school?

A. Frank Barnes School caters for moderate/severe to profoundly deaf children, who benefit from accessing the National Curriculum through fluent British Sign Language in small specialist classes taught by qualified Teachers of the Deaf. The children are also actively encouraged to develop their fluency in written and spoken English so they are bilingual in both BSL and English. Through our teaching methods, all of our deaf pupils are able to make outstanding progress and some achieve age-appropriate levels of attainment in line with their hearing peers.


Q. We would like our child to attend a school for the deaf, but our local authority’s policy is to stay in local provision/mainstream?

A. If you would like your child to attend a specialist school for the Deaf such as Frank Barnes School, you would need to contact your local Teacher of the Deaf and explain that you would like to make a request for a statutory assessment for your deaf child. Your Teacher of the Deaf will explain the process to you and you can also contact your local parent partnership service for advice, e.g SENDIASS or the NDCS. If you were interested in a placement at Frank Barnes School, you would need to contact the school to arrange a visit and an assessment morning for your child in order for the school to confirm that we can meet your child’s needs and have a place available. Any decision about school placements is made through a panel of specialists in your child’s local education authority/SEN team.