Aims and Values
Our vision is to provide a high quality education for our children through a bilingual learning environment. We have high expectations of our children’s social, emotional and academic development. We believe that effective communication, praise, celebration of success and quality teaching and learning will enable each child to reach their full potential.
In order to provide a bilingual learning environment, we:
- Maximise our children’s social, emotional and cognitive development through the use of British Sign Language (BSL)
- Expect our children to achieve fluency in BSL and literacy, and age appropriate levels of attainment across the whole curriculum
- Develop high levels of self-esteem and confidence in our children so they view themselves as successful, independent learners
- Develop the children’s positive Deaf identity which prepares them for secondary education and adulthood
- Work closely with parents, carers and supporting professionals.
In providing education for our children through a bilingual approach, we:
- Value the importance of our children developing a positive Deaf identity
- Recognise the status, role and contribution of BSL and Deaf people in the education of our children
- Respect all members of the school community and value everyone equally
- Promote justice, fairness and equality in all areas of school life
- Provide Deaf Studies, in addition to following the National Curriculum
- Value the importance of BSL and English equally
- Have high expectations of our children’s achievements
- Recognise that the development of spoken English potential is appropriate for our deaf children.